Wednesday 15 October 2008

Beautiful Proof

Okay guys, if you're not a mathematician, bear with me. It's sad I know, but to try and convince myself that I was working earlier, I produced a lovely typed copy of the proof that the square root of two is irrational (cannot be written as a fraction). This is something that I know off by heart and really had no need to type up, but I really think it's rather elegant.If you have any interest in logical thinking/reasoning etc. (even without knowing/caring about maths itself), you will find that this does flow very logically, and is about as beautiful as this area of maths can get, I reckon. Anyway, I hope this will if nothing else give people who know my character an understanding of why I love maths so much, and even possibly get a few people a little bit excited by, or at least less hateful of, mathematics.

Assume: √2 = a/b such that a,b are two integers (whole numbers) which share no common factors.

Therefore: a = √2.b (multiplication by b)

Squaring: a2 = 2b2

Because a2 is a multiple of 2; a2 is an even number.


[Note at this point if x is an odd integer; x2 is also an odd integer:

If x is an odd integer, there exists some integer, n, such that x = 2n+1.

Therefore: x2 = (2n+1)2

= (2n+1)(2n+1)

= 4n2+4n+1

Taking a factor of 2 from the n components: x2 = 2(2n2+2n)+1.

If n is an integer, n2 is an integer. Likewise 2n is an integer.

Therefore: 2n2 is also an integer.

Therefore: 2n2+2n as a sum of integers is also an integer.

Thus: x2 = 2(some integer)+1

which is equivalent to 2n+1, as n is also 'some integer'.

Thus, x2 conforms with the initial condition defining odd numbers;

x2 is shown also to be an odd number.]


As: a2 is even, a must also be even (as an odd number squared is odd; see above).

Therefore: a = 2c (where c is some integer)

Squaring: a2 = 4c2

Using (a2 = 2b2):

4c2 = 2b2

Therefore: 2c2 = b2 (dividing by 2)

Because b2 is a multiple of 2; b2 is an even number.

As: b2 is even, b must also be even (as odd squares are odd; see above).

Therefore: a and b share at least one common factor, 2, thus contradicting the initial assumption such that a,b share no common factors.

Therefore: √2 cannot be expressed as a ratio of two factors a,b and is irrational.

QED

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah, surely you realise that we are but mere mortals to you, and that we cannot begin to fathom the complexities of what you have just written out?

It boggles my mind, it does. But that's just maths in general really.

Anonymous said...

Read it again Julian, everything you need is there, .

That's one sweet proof.

Anonymous said...

You lost me at mathematician.

Itastelikedeath said...

Sorry Julian, sorry Mike; I'll try not to be so geeky next post...I think the poem went down better yes?

Anonymous said...

1 + 1 = 2
doesn't it ?
If a is a letter and
1 is a number
why put them together and confuse the hell out of us?
puzzled of hounslow

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really enjoyed the poem :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah the poem was darn good.